Who’s ready for a delicious mid-week meal? We are!
This gorgeous seared chicken with chive and parsley sauce ticks all the boxes! Think juicy chicken paired with creamy mashed potato, pan-fried greens and a tasty chive and parsley sauce
The even better news is this recipe can be adapted to be low in food chemicals, low FODMAP, gluten free, or dairy free to suit your dietary needs (see notes at the bottom of the recipe).
Seared Chicken with Chive & Parsley Sauce
- 450g chicken breast (skin removed)
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic (smashed or finely chopped)
CHIVE & PARSLEY SAUCE
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp fresh chives (finely chopped)
- Season with salt (to taste)
PAN FRIED VEGGIES
- 2 cups green beans (chopped)
- 2 cups green cabbage (finely sliced)
- 800g potato (peeled and diced)
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp salt
- Prep the vegetables. Peel and cut the potato into small pieces. Chop the green beans into pieces and finely slice the green cabbage. Finely chop the parsley and chives. If your chicken breasts are thick, then slice them in half horizontally to make thinner steaks.
- Place the potatoes into a large saucepan of water, bring to the boil and cook until tender (about 15 minutes).
- Heat a large frypan over medium high heat. Once hot add the light olive oil (or garlic infused oil if low FODMAP) and then your chicken steaks. Fry for 4 to 5 minutes per side until golden and cooked through. In the last couple of minutes of cooking add your crushed garlic (if using) and cook until fragrant.
- While the chicken cooks make the parsley and chive sauce. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Once melted stir through the flour until well combined, it should go a little frothy but don’t let it brown. Slowly pour in the milk a splash at a time, stirring constantly until thickened. Once the sauce is thick remove from the heat and stir through the parsley and chives. Taste and season with salt as needed.
- Once the chicken is cooked, place to one side. Stir fry the green beans for two minutes until tender, then add the cabbage and cook for a further 1 to 2 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and mash until smooth with the butter, milk and salt.
- Slice the chicken and serve with the creamy mashed potatoes, stir-fried greens and parsley and chive sauce.
Use lactose free milk and swap the olive oil & garlic clove for 1 tablespoon of garlic infused oil. The amount of flour and cabbage in this recipe is within low FODMAP guidelines.
Food Chemical Notes:
If you are following a strict protocol then swap the light olive oil for canola oil.
Dairy Free Notes:
Swap the butter for dairy free spread and the milk for your chosen milk alternative – just make sure it is unsweetened and not flavoured with vanilla.
Gluten Free Notes:
Use gluten free all-purpose flour instead of regular flour.
About The Recipe Developer
This recipe has been designed especially for you by our favourite recipe creator, Alana Scott from A Little Bit Yummy. Alana specialises in helping people with food intolerances love their food through delicious low FODMAP recipes. She also has lots of gluten free, dairy free and allergy friendly recipe options too. If you need more recipe inspiration check out her Recipe Club for over 600+ options.