Hands up if you love Pesto, but struggle to find one without garlic? I’m here to tell you that with a food processor (or blender) and 5 minutes to spare, you no longer have to miss out!
Pesto is a great option to add flavour and freshness. Stir it through pasta, spread it on sourdough or even use it on fish or chicken. You won’t be disappointed.
Most store bought Pesto contains enough garlic to keep someone with IBS the bathroom for a week. My version is low FODMAP, gut friendly, tasty and easy to make. It also freezes well, so you can make an extra-large batch and freeze it in ice cubes for a quick flavour hit at any time
What makes my Pesto so special you ask:
- I’ve skipped the garlic and subbed my favourite Cobram Estate garlic infused extra virgin olive oil.
- It has a little kick with a touch of chilli (although you can leave this out if you like).
- You can make it vegan by subbing parmesan for nutritional yeast
Low FODMAP Pesto
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh basil.
- ¼ cup pine nuts.
- ¼ cup garlic infused extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup parmesan (or ½ cup nutritional yeast for the vegan option)
- ½ a chilli roughly chopped (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse on and off a few times until a paste forms. It can remain quite chunky or process further until smooth, depending on your preference.
Scoop into an airtight container and cover with Cobram Estate extra virgin olive oil to maintain freshness.
Will keep for 1 week in the fridge or 1 month in the freezer
Makes: 1 generous cup
Serve: 1-2 tablespoons
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: nil
Suitable for freezing: yes
Everyday Nutrition are gut health expert dietitians with the knowledge and skills to support you with personalised advice and gut health solutions that will calm your gut, so you can get back to enjoying life.
We consult privately in Melbourne’s inner South East and virtually. Make an appointment here to calm your gut, love food and enjoy life again!