Easy Chicken Casserole
This month’s Recipe Redux theme is freezer meals. Showcasing how convenient and healthy freezer meals can be. Since my last blog looked at how chronic pain can reduce the ability to shop for and cook healthy food, I thought this recipe for “Easy Chicken Casserole” would the be perfect follow on.
Why is it good?
- It only takes five minutes to throw everything in pot and put it into the oven, cooking while you relax.
- It’s perfect for storing in portion size packs in the freezer.
- It’s soft and easy to chew and swallow when you don’t feel your best.
- It’s packed full of vitamins, minerals, fibre and protein from healthy vegetables, chickpeas and chicken breast.
- It tastes awesome!
As always I have adapted the recipe to be low FODMAP so everyone can enjoy it. To do this, but still maintain flavour, I replaced the onion and garlic with garlic infused olive oil and chives. I used Massel liquid chicken stock, which is gluten free and does not contain garlic or onion. I chose low FODMAP vegetables (tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, capsicum and eggplant) as the base for the sauce, but you could adjust these to suit your preference. I used tinned chickpeas which, when they are drained and rinsed, are approved as low FODMAP in serves up to ½ a cup.
Easy Chicken Casserole
Prep time: 5 minutes
- Stove 30 minutes
- Oven 2-4
- 1 Tbl garlic infused olive oil
- 6-8 Chicken thighs
- 2 cups diced vegetables (eggplant, carrot, zucchini, capsicum & tomato)
- 500ml reduced salt chicken stock
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbl chopped chives
- 2 Tbl chopped parsley
- 1 cup water extra if cooking in the oven
Method – Oven:
- Turn oven to 200°
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Place all ingredients in an oven safe pan and cover. Place in oven and reduce heat to 150°.
- Cook for about 2-4 hours, stirring occasionally until liquid has reduced to a thick creamy sauce. Alternatively cook in a pot on the stove until chicken is cooked through and vegetables have softened.
Method – Stove top:
- Heat garlic infused olive oil in a large pan and brown chicken.
- Add all ingredients (omitting water) and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes stirring occasionally until chicken is cooked and vegetables have softened.